Sunday, August 25, 2013

A Myriad of Firsts: Patagonian Backcountry Skiing

Have you ever been in wind so strong it blows your tent flat? Wait, scratch that, have you ever been in wind so strong it blows your 4 season expedition tent completely flat on top of you in winter while you pray the wind hasn't broken your skis in half as they stick halfway out of the snow outside your tent? Welcome to the first day and night of my first Patagonian backcountry skiing trip!


Have you ever skied fresh tracks 400 vertical meters of fresh blower powder in a couloir under a gigantic full moon? Welcome to night 2 of my first Patagonian backcountry ski trip!


The 3 day wasn't quite as epic....oh wait yes it was! My biggest vertical relief I've ever skied (yet)! 700 plus vertical meters of face shots and giggling my way down a massive bowl linking turn after turn after turn! Looking back up and seeing a bright big blue sky over top of my gorgeous “S” turns! Is this for real?


Just shy of the pass in the Cerro Castillo National Reserve, we made camp for 5 days of avalanche training, and amazing skiing! Thinking back on my experience of my first backcountry trip in Chile, I can hardly believe it was real. The tips of my toes haven't quite come completely back to feeling, but I can still feel the bite of the freezing wind as I scream down powder lines experiencing elation I didn't think was possible! I'm addicted.


Waiting out a rest day, watching the weather, trying to keep warm in minus 7 degree weather, sitting through heavy case studies of past avalanches, I can't wait to get back out skiing! A few more days of backcountry skiing, one more in the resort for an end of the week dump, then avalanche review and testing and debrief and my first ski course for GS8 will come to an end. Fortunately more fun will follow....10 days of hard ice climbing and instruction after which we will slog onto the Ice Cap for a month of mountaineering madness few in the world have experienced!



Can I wait for it all? Not really, but it will all unfold one step at a time!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a fantastic tale of epic proportions in the making!

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Something just plain awesome to say? Write it down!